Though much of Western medicine is known for treating symptoms rather than preventing the cause, our practice is different. We’d much rather prevent decay and gum disease from occurring than place a crown or extract a tooth. Our proactive preventive approach looks to the future of your dental health – giving you a healthy smile that’s more likely to last a lifetime.
At your regular checkups and cleanings, we help you prevent dental issues in the following ways:
- Visually examine teeth and soft-tissues for early warning signs
- Take X-rays to see structures not visible to the naked eye
- Check your TMJ, bite alignment, and teeth for signs of bruxism (clenching/grinding)
- Screen for oral cancer, which can be cured if caught early
- Review your dental hygiene homecare, diet, and medical and dental history
- Take your blood pressure at each appointment
Visualization is our most valuable “tool of the trade.” Patients are able and encouraged to view their procedure, magnified, with real-time digital images. When you see plaque, tartar, and cavities harboring in your body, magnified, it encourages meticulous home care. In many cases, time is crucial in keeping a procedure from turning into a more complicated and costly one in the future.
Preventive Dentistry Includes:
- Exams & Cleanings
- Fluoride Supplements & Dental Sealants
- Athletic Mouthguards & Nightguards
- Gum Disease Screening & Treatment
- Sleep Apnea & Snoring Treatment
- TMJ & Bruxism Therapy
Sleep Apnea & Snoring
Millions of people snore – so what’s the big deal? Aside from irritating your sleeping partner, snoring may also be a sign of sleep apnea. This condition interrupts oxygen flow to the brain and has been linked to heart attack, stroke, and even death. Our dentists provide conservative snoring and sleep apnea treatments at our Powell dental office.